Sunday, July 24, 2011

It Ain't Starbucks, But...

So, a few days ago I was in a bind.  I seriously, desperately craved an iced coffee.  In case you hadn't noticed, it was (still is) wickedly hot out.  I'd tossed and turned the night before, and I was dragging.  And the Little Dude was full of more energy than I could muster.  Cold, non-carbonated caffeine seemed like the ideal solution.  But, alas, there was a flaw in my plan to get my hands on a frappuccino-my car has been out of commission.  So my options were slim-suck it up, or get creative.

So I made a base for iced coffee!  It's great on the rocks, chilled in a pitcher, or blended with ice.  And it was pretty simple!  I made 10 cups of coffee to start.  I used caramel flavored coffee, but you can use whatever you have on hand.  I made mine a bit stronger, since I planned to drink it over ice.  If you plan to blend it with ice, you'll definitely want it a bit stronger, to withstand the dilution.  I let it sit in the carafe for a while, until it was cool enough to pour into my plastic pitcher.  I then added about 3T of sweetened condensed milk to give it some creaminess.  Again, use what you have on hand-milk, half and half, that bottle of flavored creamer languishing in the back of the fridge-and just add it based on your personal tastes.  Then add some sweetener, use your favorite and sweeten to taste.  I used somewhere between 3T and a 1/4 c. of sugar.  Stir it all up, then either stick it in the fridge, or break out the ice.  You can also add flavored syrups if you want, garnish it with whipped cream, or whatever blows your skirt up.  Grab a straw, a fan, and enjoy a few minutes of cool indulgence!

No comments:

Post a Comment