Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Slightly Delirious Post About Cleaning

It's 6am on a Sunday, and I've been wide awake since around 4:30.  Before that, it was LOTS of tossing and turning.  I finally surrendered, and have played about 12 games of mah-jongg, caught myself up on Regretsy and Facebook, and am now considering a bowl of frosted mini-wheats.  This has been going on for a little over a week now.  Unfortunately, I made two crucial errors last night-I drank soda, and forgot my melatonin.  *le sigh*

Since I'm too loopy to remember if I'd posted this before, I've been making and using my own household cleaners.  B. got to try the homemade detergent before I did, but I have homemade fabric softener, glass cleaner, and a multi-purpose surface cleaner, as well as some baking soda for everything else.  I went on a massive cleaning kick yesterday and scrubbed the place down, and it was a great opportunity for me to really compare what I made with what I used to buy.  Guess what?  I couldn't tell a bit of difference, except for the lack of fragrance that's added to most cleaners.  But things were squeaky clean!  When I can focus a bit more, I'll post the actual blends I used.  My only complaint was that the homemade glass cleaner wasn't enough to power through the Little Dude's "artwork".  If there is a crayon and a clean window in the same building, he will find a way to make the two meet.  I should have stopped him, but my inner teacher kept chirping at me that he was exploring his environment, it's easily cleaned, I'll stifle his creativity, blah blah blah.  But my point is, why are we spending tons of money on chemicals, when we can safely make the same things at home for pennies?  Sorry, Mr. Clean, but we're breaking up.  It wasn't me, it was you.

No comments:

Post a Comment