Sunday, March 25, 2012

52 Weeks Challenge, Weeks 10 and 11 Combined!

Kerry here, cheating like a fiend and combining week 10 (breakfast) and week 11 (cheese) into one tasty meal.  It's ham, swiss, and spinach quiche, and it's gooooood.

But first, I have a few random thoughts.  I want to thank everyone for the response to my last post, "A Low Day".  I received support, and a wonderful lavender eye pillow to help me sleep, and it meant so much to me.  But I also heard from readers with similar situations, which made me feel less alone, and it gave me some much needed perspective and clarity.  So thank you, all of you.

Also, for my fellow Walking Dead fangirls, a couple of thoughts.  I'm just now getting to finish the season (I didn't fully think out my clever plan to save money by dropping cable), and how did I not notice that Shane has to ask/tell somebody "something" at least 5 times per episode?  Only he's all Southern, so it's "M'ASK YEW SUMPIN'".  If only he'd ask Lori and Rick why the hell they don't keep Carl on a leash.  Sigh.  Also, is it just me, or does Daryl get hotter the crazier he gets?  It's just me?  I was afraid of that.

Anyway, quiche.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  For your ingredients, you'll need:

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used wheat flour on my first attempt, didn't turn out as nicely as I would have liked.  Still tasty, though.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
3 eggs
2-4 slices swiss cheese (depending on how cheesy you want things.)
1 refrigerated pie crust
1/2 cup roughly chopped or torn spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped ham
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese

Whisk together the flour, salt, half and half, and eggs in a bowl.  Press your pie crust into a pie dish, then lay the swiss cheese slices evenly over the bottom.  Then spread the spinach over the cheese.  Pour the flour and egg mixture into the crust, then evenly top with the ham and cheddar cheese.  Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.  Allow the quiche to rest for a few minutes before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. Though I don't watch Walking Dead, I do have to agree on the crazier is hotter thing. I'm thinking Ryan Reynolds in Amityville Horror. Psycho killer crazy but oh so flippin' hot ;-)

    ReplyDelete