Thursday, June 30, 2011

Peaches everywhere!





Last week a semi truck arrived from Georgia full of boxes of peaches for central Ohio.  They were not that expensive being $30 for a 1/2 bushel box.  So I got two for myself and one for a friend.  One box went into the refrigerator to not ripen just yet, while I left one out to be used soon.  Three days later they were soft, ripe and juicy.
So what have I done with all those peaches?  So far I've passed on some to friends and we've eaten some straight out of the box.  Normally I stick with making peach jam because that's what I know how to make well but this year I'm trying to broaden my horizons.


Peach pie filling while it was thickening on the stove . .


and packaged up for the freezer.

 Peach chips made in the dehydrator.

The peach chips taste so, so good, with a crispier crunch when you bite them but also having that amazing peach flavor.  

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the rest of the first box made into jam.  I meant to do that today but a nap felt like the better thing to do at that moment.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment